PBSci Divisional Alcohol Policy Fact Sheet

Effective: 7/1/2014
Updated:  7/2/2014

BACKGROUND: UCSC revised the Campus Alcoholic Beverage Policy for UCSC Sponsored Events (Policy #EVC001) in August 2011. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with it. Excerpts from the policy, explaining the general requirements for selling, serving, and or consuming alcohol at a university-sponsored event are included below. 

Highlights of alcohol policy:

  • All University sponsored events held on or off campus require the Dean’s prior approval to serve alcoholic beverages.
    • Pre-approval must be obtained for all events where alcohol may be served or consumed even if no University funds will be covering the cost of the alcohol. This includes the possible purchase of alcohol by attendees at a restaurant during a University sponsored event (e.g. Graduate recruitment dinner at a restaurant).
    • Note: This policy does not apply to approval (or reimbursement) of individual entertainment related alcohol purchases.
    • To request prior approval for the serving of alcohol, log into the Financial Affairs Dashboard to complete an Entertainment Reporting Form (ERF) and notify your accountant.
  • Campus Police must be notified by email, police@ucsc.edu, when there are 50 or more invited participants for all events held on campus (including LML) where alcohol will be served.
  • A signed copy of Appendix A of EVC001, the "Best Practices for Serving Alcoholic Beverages Free of Charge at UCSC Sponsored Events", must be on file in the PBSci Business Office for all hosts of UCSC sponsored events in which alcohol will be served free of charge.

Other reminders:

  • The PBSci Division will not reimburse alcohol for student-focused events. This also applies to graduate student events, including those related to graduate student recruitment.
  • In PBSci, the reimbursement limit for alcohol per person has been capped at $20/person, plus tax and gratuity. Note that a percentage of the gratuity must be included with the cost of alcohol on all reimbursement requests.
  • When alcohol is not requested for reimbursement, the costs omitted must include tax and gratuity pertaining to the alcohol.
  • Corkage is considered alcohol and requires the Dean’s approval.
  • No State funds (199XX or 18082) or Federal funds may be used for any alcohol related expense.

Excerpts from: Campus Alcoholic Beverage Policy for UCSC Sponsored Events (Policy #EVC001)

This policy governs sale, service, and consumption of alcoholic beverages for university sponsored events whether on or off university premises. In every instance where alcohol is consumed, the individuals and organizations involved are responsible for compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws, this policy, and other applicable university regulations.


A. Sale, service, and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages at sponsored events must be approved in advance by delegated authority.

B. Individuals under the age of 21 years may not possess or consume alcoholic beverages.

C. Service and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages must be secondary to the sponsored event, and under no circumstances should consumption of alcohol be the primary focus of the event.

D. Nonalcoholic beverages, food, and snacks must be available during the same time alcoholic beverages are made available.

E. Advertisement of Event

1. Alcohol shall not be the primary focus of event advertisement.
2. Advertising shall not contain statements or references such as: unlimited spirits, open bar, all you can drink, etc.

F. Sale of Alcohol:  There shall be no sale of alcoholic beverages on university property or at university sponsored events except pursuant to a valid license or one-day permit issued by the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. Exchanging any consideration for alcoholic beverage service constitutes a sale. “Consideration” includes money, tickets, tokens, or chits that have been issued in exchange for money or anything else of value. Because of prohibitions contained in the California constitution, the University may not hold a license to manufacture or sell alcoholic beverages. Therefore, if a campus unit wishes to sell alcohol at a UCSC sponsored event, the liquor license must be held by an independent entity. The regular serving of alcoholic beverages in unlicensed campus facilities is prohibited.


A. The sponsor of an event that involves the serving of alcoholic beverages must assure compliance with all the following requirements:

1. All applicable laws, regulations, and university policies;
2. Obtain and document approvals for alcoholic beverage service; and,
3. Provide an appropriate level of security for the event as determined by the campus Police Department;


A. Events with attendees less than 21 years of age must restrict direct access to alcohol to designated servers of alcoholic beverages.

B. If alcoholic beverages are provided free of charge, the official host must retain a signed copy of the Appendix A: "Best Practices for Serving Alcoholic Beverages Free of Charge at UCSC Sponsored Events" with event records.


A. Only those employees authorized to serve alcoholic beverages within the course and scope of their job duties shall serve alcohol.

B. A server of alcoholic beverages must meet the following qualifications:

1. Be at least 18 years of age if the server’s primary duty at the event is to serve food, and the serving of alcoholic beverages is an incidental duty;
2. Be at least 21 years of age if the server’s primary duty is to mix and/or serve alcoholic beverages; and
3. Obtain Alcoholic Beverage Control approved Responsible Beverage Service Training certification if serving for-sale alcoholic beverages.

C. Servers may not consume any alcoholic beverages during the event.


Any university employee found to be in violation of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with Student Code of Conduct or applicable faculty or staff personnel policies, including collective bargaining agreements.

See Also